My quest to design and build a mid-engined sports racer from scratch. It will comprise of many newly fabricated components along with repurposed parts from other vehicles such as the 2.5 Turbo engine from a Volvo 850 the running gear from Mazda Mx5 and the driveshafts from a sierra xr4x4. The body work is the only thing I have purchased and even that will be extensively modified and a complete front section made from a mould. Wish me luck.

Thursday 14 April 2011

With the engine mounts sourced it was time to figure out where they would tie into the chassis.  I chose the right hand lower mount first as it looked like it would land conveniently on a chassis rail.  I was worried about bolting the bracket to the 2”x1” tube so I carefully marked out the mounting holes on the tube and machined 2 threaded bosses which were welded into the chassis tube.  The mounts used odd proprietary bolts with an in built locating washer so I machined some stepped buttons to accurately secure the mount against any lateral movement.

My wife and I took some very accurate measurements of the rear wheel and upright assembly.  I then transferred the measurements to CAD and produced the 0.5 scale silhouette ready for the “String Computer”.  If you’re not familiar with this concept its a method of cheaply modelling suspension geometry using a board and string line.  Its outlined a couple of Alan Staniforths books on car design and builds.  This will then allow me to site the inboard pickup points for the rear suspension and then ultimately build the rear wishbones.  I’ll take an identical approach on the front suspension and modify the wishbones from my old project accordingly.